Student Visa (Subclass 500)

The Department of Home Affairs (DHA), Australia has set up the SSVF (Simplified student visa framework) to help assess student visa applications, and thus identify whether they need to go through the regular or streamlined process. This is done based on the education provider and intended course of study; as well as country of origin of the passport.

The Student Visa (subclass 500) was introduced to make the visa application process much more efficient than before; and in doing so, to make it easier for international students to access by reducing red tape.

The following are the primary differences for each process a visa could fall under:

  • MUST fulfill English language and financial capability conditions as specified by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA), Australia; along with the general requirements
  • Must show the evidence of funds
  • NOT MANDATORY to supplement proof of English language proficiency or financial capability for assessment of visa application
  • Evidence of funds are not required

Before you can submit your application, you will need to prove that you are actively admitted into a program in an Australian tertiary institution. If you apply while in Australia, either the letter of offer or CoE (Confirmation of Enrolment) will suffice. If you are applying from overseas, COE is required at the time of making the visa application. This has to be submitted at the time of lodging the visa. The following are the other important stages/tasks as part of your visa application:

  • Statement of purpose to state how you meet GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant Criteria)
  • Health tests must be done and have satisfactory results
  • All character requirements must be met
  • Unless exempt for any specific reason, all students must show proof of holding an OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) for the entire duration of their stay in Australia
  • History of past employment and qualifications received
  • Parental consent and welfare arrangements + evidence of school enrolment for student visa applicants below 18 years of age
  • English language requirements must be met (N/A for streamlined process)
  • Proof of financial sufficiency for duration of course/ stay in Australia (N/A for streamlined process)

Frequently Asked Questions about Migration Services

I am currently studying in Australia, what are my options if I want to apply for Permanent Residency?
When it comes to migrating to Australia, there are different types of visas each with their own eligibility criteria. Most of the international students aim to apply for visa SC189 or SC190. Australian government has recently introduced another SC491 which may also lead to permanent residency. Each of these subclasses have their own requirements and the points to qualify for them keeps on changing from time to time. As this a complex topic so it is always better to take a professional advice. In order to discuss your prospects in line with the course you want to study, get an appointment at PFEC Global with one of our experienced migration agents who will be able to help you purely as per your personal circumstances.
At present, I do not have sufficient points to apply for PR. What are my options right now?
When it comes to the question “How many points I need for PR”, there is no definitive answer for this. Australian Migration Policies are very dynamic and things keeps on changing frequently. However, to see the last invitation marks, you can refer to Department of Home Affairs website where they continuously update the invitation points after their invitation rounds. Subsequently, if you need the human touch, PFEC Global has the experienced Registered Migration Agents who will offer to check your case, completely free of charge! As each case is very different from the next, we strictly advise you to book an appointment with us to get professional advice to help turn your life around!
Are there any possible risks to applying for a new course and student visa when I know that my TR is expiring soon? If so, what are they?
All Australian student visa applicants MUST fulfill the Genuine Temporary Entrant Criteria in additional to other relevant critrea for the student visa to be granted. Moving from the subclass 485 visa to a student visa can be quite difficult for this very reason. You could try to minimize the risk by submitting your student visa application with a GTE statement that must show the reasons to choose the specific study program you have chosen in context of your past experience and your future career goals etc.
I am travelling on a Tourist Visa / Working Holiday Visa / TSS Visa; and would want to change to a Student Visa. Can this be done?
Most but not always, the answer is Yes. However, it is always a good idea to consult a registered migration agent to see if you are eligible to apply for a student visa on your temporary visa. But when you are, you cannot ignore the risk involved due to the GTE concern. Your visa application must be backed by strong evidence of your genuine intention to study. Each case must be handled on a case by case basis. Have more queries you need sorted out? PFEC Global has a line-up of the most amazing professionals in the business. So, if you have any doubts about what to do, call us to book an appointment today!
I am currently residing in Australia on a Student Dependent Visa and my spouse who is a primay applicant is undertaking a Master level program. Am I given complete work & study rights in Australia as someone’s partner/ spouse?
When the main applicant of the scholarship is studying in a Master’s or a Doctoral degree, their partner is free to work full-time, or with no limits.

Our Professional Memberships