Early Childhood Education & Care

Education is perhaps one of the most crucial career fields; because working in this arena of expertise gives you the power to shape future minds. Students who choose to have a career in education could go one of three possible routes, which are:

  • Early Childhood Education
  • Primary Education
  • Secondary Education
With an exponential increase in two-income households, the necessity for daycare workers, babysitters, nannies, as well as school teachers has been constantly on the rise. Completing a course in early childhood education and teaching could easily prepare you to work in any of the positions above; or go into research for different organizations that work for research towards childhood development.
It is similar to most science-based degrees in that a relevant prior degree will help students understand study material if they do choose to progress in their higher education with the course. However, there are different kinds of degrees in this course that students can aim to go for; including diplomas, certificate courses, undergraduate, postgraduate or even PhD degrees. This degree can also benefit you to bring up your own children someday. Weekly pay is quite good, with Early Childhood (Pre-Primary) teachers getting around 1,488 AUD per week, and Secondary Teachers getting around 1,914 AUD per week

Should you choose to study this course, you will learn techniques and methodology for teaching young children between the ages of 2 to 8 years for the first route, and 8-17 years for the second route. It will allow you to learn about the main developmental stages experienced by a child, as well as all of the ways in which you can support young students to help them develop the right cognitive, emotional and physical abilities.

Certificate III + Diploma of Early Childhood Education:
  • Class 12th (and successful completion of Language, Literacy and Numeracy Indicator Test)
  • IELTS/PTE 5.5 overall with no band score less than 5.0
Career opportunities include the following:
  • Early childhood educator
  • Out-of-school-hours educator or coordinator
  • Family daycare operator
  • Educational leader
  • Early childhood centre director or coordinator
Bachelor of Education or Early Childhood:
  • Diploma or 12th class with Mathematics (CASPER Test)
  • English: IELTS 7.0 on each band; with a few universities accepting 6.5 (6.0)
Career opportunities include the following:
  • Teaching in Early Childhood Programs and Primary School Settings (Preparatory to Year 6)
Masters of Teaching in Early Childhood
  • Applicants undertaking the Master of Teaching must hold a Bachelor degree or approved equivalent in a relevant discipline (CASPER Test)
  • English: IELTS 7.5 (Speaking, Listening 8 and Reading, Writing 7); with a few universities accepting 7.0 on each band
Career opportunities – Master of Teaching prepares you for a range of teaching careers in:
  • Primary schools
  • Early childhood education
  • Special education
  • Community
  • Non-traditional learning environments, including advisory boards, private organizations and local and state government.
  • Bachelors in Primary Education:
    • Class 12th (and successful completion of Language, Literacy and Numeracy Indicator Test)
    • English IELTS 7.0 on each band; with a few universities accepting 6.5 (6.0)
    Career opportunities include the following:
    • Teaching in Primary Education Programs and Primary School Settings (Years 1 through to 6)

    Even though you can technically get a job working as a primary school teacher after you finish your undergraduate program, many students go a step further and get a Masters of Teaching in Primary Education to specialize their expertise in the stream.

    Entry Requirement

    Career Outcome

    Once you become a graduate in this field, you can choose to work in:

    • Kindergartens/ Pre-Primary Schools
    • Primary/ Elementary Schools
    • Secondary Schools
    • Daycare Facilities; and
    • Administrative positions

    You can even choose to be a nanny/ governess or a babysitter—helping shape young minds for the brighter future of humanity!

    Frequently Asked Questionsabout Courses

    I would like to change my course/ university. What should I do?
    Please keep in mind that the process involved in changing a course or a university, must strictly comply with your Student Visa conditions to avoid the apparent risks of Visa Cancellation. Specially to maintain AQF level of your study. For example, if you get your visa in bachelor’s degree Course then you must maintain same AQF level. Downgrading course can cause the breach of visa cancellation. Also, you need to complete 6 months of your Principle Course to change the education provider. It is strongly suggested that you get advice from Qualified Education Agent Counsellor (QEAC) to help you through the entire process. At PFEC Global, our expert counsellors can make sure you have the smoothest journey till the end.
    What types of scholarships will be available to me, and how can I apply for them?
    These days, numerous Australian institutions offer educational scholarships for eligible international students, with the key focus given to candidates enrolled in diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. If you would like to explore more details regarding the availability, application requirements criteria and timeline for each scholarship that might be suitable for you; it is a good idea to directly contact the institutions either calling their listed contact number, or by submitting an enquiry on their official website. Many students find it a little too much to handle the overloaded and doubtful information from the websites of many providers. Our expert counsellors are well-equipped to do this for you. Just come to visit us , and one of our best counsellors will help you find the scholarships that are best suited for you.
    What work rights do the Australian Student Visa give me?
    A student visa holder is completely free to work for a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight (i.e. 14 days) when their term is in session, and unlimited hours when their term is out of session.
    What are the courses can lead me to PR Pathways?
    Although there is no guarantee to get PR by studying any particular courses, However, courses such as Accounting, Information Technology, Engineering, Nursing, Social Work, Teaching, Cookery, Automotive are some of the very popular courses.