Building & Construction

These days, being an expert in any trade can help you earn much higher salaries than would be possible otherwise. If you are thinking of becoming the expert of a trade in Australia; building and construction could prove to be a fine course for you. You will get a chance to study and try out various building techniques. You will also learn how to operate within a construction site while strictly following the safety guidelines, how to organize and plan construction operations more effectively and efficiently, etc.
After the successful completion of your degree in building and construction, you will get the qualifications and preparation you need to work in the construction field in Australia. In fact, all available courses should have an extensive practical component. For people who enjoy building things from scratch, this can be quite a rewarding field of study indeed. Construction is a large industry, so it has more employment opportunities available on a regular basis. You can start your career in construction and building with a simple apprenticeship or traineeship.
Combining an apprenticeship and a course could help you simultaneously build your theoretical knowledge and you practical skill set. PR possibilities are also significantly higher if you have qualifications in the building and construction industry. Once you finish the course and start working, the following should give you a glimpse of possible initial salaries (an estimated average):

  • Carpenter/ Joiner: 1,358 AUD per week
  • Bricklayer/ Stonemason: 2,070 AUD per week
  • Painting Trades Worker: 1,371 AUD per week

Entry Requirement

Here are some of the degrees available in Building and Construction:
  • Certificate III in Construction and Building
  • Certificate IV in Construction and Building
  • Diploma of Building and Construction (Building or Management)
  • Bachelor of Building (Construction Management)
  • Graduate Certificate of Construction Management
  • Graduate Diploma of Construction Management
  • Master of Construction Management
To secure for yourself a student visa for any of the Building and Construction courses, you will need to have the following:
  • a valid passport for the duration of your course in Australia
  • offer letter from the selected university/institution
  • a TOEFL score 46 – 59; or an IELTS score of 5.5 overall (at least a 5.0 in each of the bands)
  • evidence of access to sufficient funds
  • evidence of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
  • all other relevant documents listed on the Department of Home Affairs visa checklists
Possible job opportunities with a degree in Building and Construction could include:
  • Carpenter/ Joiner
  • Bricklayer/ Stonemason
  • Painting Trades Worker
  • Building Associate
  • Building Inspector
  • Construction Estimator
  • Surveying and Spatial Science Estimator

Frequently Asked Questionsabout Courses

I would like to change my course/ university. What should I do?
Please keep in mind that the process involved in changing a course or a university, must strictly comply with your Student Visa conditions to avoid the apparent risks of Visa Cancellation. Specially to maintain AQF level of your study. For example, if you get your visa in bachelor’s degree Course then you must maintain same AQF level. Downgrading course can cause the breach of visa cancellation. Also, you need to complete 6 months of your Principle Course to change the education provider. It is strongly suggested that you get advice from Qualified Education Agent Counsellor (QEAC) to help you through the entire process. At PFEC Global, our expert counsellors can make sure you have the smoothest journey till the end.
What types of scholarships will be available to me, and how can I apply for them?
These days, numerous Australian institutions offer educational scholarships for eligible international students, with the key focus given to candidates enrolled in diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. If you would like to explore more details regarding the availability, application requirements criteria and timeline for each scholarship that might be suitable for you; it is a good idea to directly contact the institutions either calling their listed contact number, or by submitting an enquiry on their official website. Many students find it a little too much to handle the overloaded and doubtful information from the websites of many providers. Our expert counsellors are well-equipped to do this for you. Just come to visit us , and one of our best counsellors will help you find the scholarships that are best suited for you.
What work rights do the Australian Student Visa give me?
A student visa holder is completely free to work for a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight (i.e. 14 days) when their term is in session, and unlimited hours when their term is out of session.
What are the courses can lead me to PR Pathways?
Although there is no guarantee to get PR by studying any particular courses, However, courses such as Accounting, Information Technology, Engineering, Nursing, Social Work, Teaching, Cookery, Automotive are some of the very popular courses.