Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590)

For any child from another country (below the age of 18) who has been enrolled in an Australian institution; the parent, custodian or guardian of the child could apply for this visa. It is a temporary visa which will allow the guardian to stay in Australia temporarily to take care of the child.

The basic requirements for this visa are:
  • The student must be actively enrolled in an Australian institution
  • The parent, guardian or custodian of child must be at least 21 years of age, if not older, during the time of submission of the application
  • This visa enables you to come to Australia in order to care for and be there for a student visa holder who is not yet 18 (or is above 18, under execptional circumstances)
  • Holders of this visa are allowed to care for multiple students
  • You can also study an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) for 20 hours a week (or less); or participate in another study/ training program of your choice for a maximum of 3 months—working in Australia is NOT ALLOWED
  • You will need to submit proof of your financial condition that shows that you can support yourself as well as additional family members
  • You will only be allowed into the country with this visa when you are accompanying the student in question, who has to be at least 6 years old (unless there are compelling reasons for authorities to allow a younger child). Children who are 6 years or older need to have separately applied for a student visa
  • After getting the visa, visits outside Australia are still allowed; but the child has to go with you, unless other temporary welfare arrangements have been made.
  • You and your child must meet health requirements specified by the Department of Home Affairs, Australia For more details, please contact PFEC Global. We will lead you through every step of the system, making sure that you are well taken care of.

Frequently Asked Questions about Migration Services

I am currently studying in Australia, what are my options if I want to apply for Permanent Residency?
When it comes to migrating to Australia, there are different types of visas each with their own eligibility criteria. Most of the international students aim to apply for visa SC189 or SC190. Australian government has recently introduced another SC491 which may also lead to permanent residency. Each of these subclasses have their own requirements and the points to qualify for them keeps on changing from time to time. As this a complex topic so it is always better to take a professional advice. In order to discuss your prospects in line with the course you want to study, get an appointment at PFEC Global with one of our experienced migration agents who will be able to help you purely as per your personal circumstances.
At present, I do not have sufficient points to apply for PR. What are my options right now?
When it comes to the question “How many points I need for PR”, there is no definitive answer for this. Australian Migration Policies are very dynamic and things keeps on changing frequently. However, to see the last invitation marks, you can refer to Department of Home Affairs website where they continuously update the invitation points after their invitation rounds. Subsequently, if you need the human touch, PFEC Global has the experienced Registered Migration Agents who will offer to check your case, completely free of charge! As each case is very different from the next, we strictly advise you to book an appointment with us to get professional advice to help turn your life around!
Are there any possible risks to applying for a new course and student visa when I know that my TR is expiring soon? If so, what are they?
All Australian student visa applicants MUST fulfill the Genuine Temporary Entrant Criteria in additional to other relevant critrea for the student visa to be granted. Moving from the subclass 485 visa to a student visa can be quite difficult for this very reason. You could try to minimize the risk by submitting your student visa application with a GTE statement that must show the reasons to choose the specific study program you have chosen in context of your past experience and your future career goals etc.
I am travelling on a Tourist Visa / Working Holiday Visa / TSS Visa; and would want to change to a Student Visa. Can this be done?
Most but not always, the answer is Yes. However, it is always a good idea to consult a registered migration agent to see if you are eligible to apply for a student visa on your temporary visa. But when you are, you cannot ignore the risk involved due to the GTE concern. Your visa application must be backed by strong evidence of your genuine intention to study. Each case must be handled on a case by case basis. Have more queries you need sorted out? PFEC Global has a line-up of the most amazing professionals in the business. So, if you have any doubts about what to do, call us to book an appointment today!
I am currently residing in Australia on a Student Dependent Visa and my spouse who is a primay applicant is undertaking a Master level program. Am I given complete work & study rights in Australia as someone’s partner/ spouse?
When the main applicant of the scholarship is studying in a Master’s or a Doctoral degree, their partner is free to work full-time, or with no limits.

Our Professional Memberships