Partner Visa (Onshore/ Offshore)

Depending on where you apply from, partner visas can be applied either from onshore or offshore.
  • For onshore applicants- Temporary Partner Visa (Subclass 820) + Permanent Partner Visa (Subclass 801)
  • For offshore applicants- Partner (Provisional) visa (Subclass 309) + Permanent Partner visa (Subclass 100)

Partner visas enable the spouse/ de-facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia.
First, you will be given the Temporary Partner visa (subclass 820 or 309); allowing you to stay in Australia while the Permanent Partner visa (subclass 801 or 100) is processed. To get the Permanent Partner visa:
a) Both stages of the visas are applied at the same time. b) Upon getting the temporary visa, you will be eligible for the Permanent Partner visa (subclass 801 or subclass 100) assessment roughly two years after initial application submission; for which further documents must be sent in.

Basic rules applying to all Partner visas:
  • Married applicants must be legitimately married in Australia/ legally married in the country where the marriage took place. Visa applications for a marriage that was not considered legal in the country where it took place SHALL NOT be considered under the Australian Migration Law either.
  • De facto applicants must have been in a de facto relationship for a year minimum before they can apply. Nevertheless, if the case is recorded under an Australian State/Territory law, you may be eligible to apply.
The following conditions apply for this visa:
  • Need to be sponsored by an Australian citizen, permanent resident or New Zealand citizen
  • Must be married to/ in a genuine de facto relationship with their sponsor; and be in an exclusive, genuine and continuing relationship with their spouse/ de facto partner
  • Must be over 18 years old
  • Must lived together with spouse/ de facto partner and not lived apart on a permanent basis
  • Applicant and sponsor must both fulfill character requirements etc
  • The Temporary Partner Provisional Visa allows holders to come to Australia and stay there until a decision regarding the Permanent Partner visa is reached. They can work and study in Australia; plus avail Medicare. For more details, please contact PFEC Global. We will lead you through every step of the system, making sure that you are well taken care of.

    Frequently Asked Questions about Migration Services

    I am currently studying in Australia, what are my options if I want to apply for Permanent Residency?
    When it comes to migrating to Australia, there are different types of visas each with their own eligibility criteria. Most of the international students aim to apply for visa SC189 or SC190. Australian government has recently introduced another SC491 which may also lead to permanent residency. Each of these subclasses have their own requirements and the points to qualify for them keeps on changing from time to time. As this a complex topic so it is always better to take a professional advice. In order to discuss your prospects in line with the course you want to study, get an appointment at PFEC Global with one of our experienced migration agents who will be able to help you purely as per your personal circumstances.
    At present, I do not have sufficient points to apply for PR. What are my options right now?
    When it comes to the question “How many points I need for PR”, there is no definitive answer for this. Australian Migration Policies are very dynamic and things keeps on changing frequently. However, to see the last invitation marks, you can refer to Department of Home Affairs website where they continuously update the invitation points after their invitation rounds. Subsequently, if you need the human touch, PFEC Global has the experienced Registered Migration Agents who will offer to check your case, completely free of charge! As each case is very different from the next, we strictly advise you to book an appointment with us to get professional advice to help turn your life around!
    Are there any possible risks to applying for a new course and student visa when I know that my TR is expiring soon? If so, what are they?
    All Australian student visa applicants MUST fulfill the Genuine Temporary Entrant Criteria in additional to other relevant critrea for the student visa to be granted. Moving from the subclass 485 visa to a student visa can be quite difficult for this very reason. You could try to minimize the risk by submitting your student visa application with a GTE statement that must show the reasons to choose the specific study program you have chosen in context of your past experience and your future career goals etc.
    I am travelling on a Tourist Visa / Working Holiday Visa / TSS Visa; and would want to change to a Student Visa. Can this be done?
    Most but not always, the answer is Yes. However, it is always a good idea to consult a registered migration agent to see if you are eligible to apply for a student visa on your temporary visa. But when you are, you cannot ignore the risk involved due to the GTE concern. Your visa application must be backed by strong evidence of your genuine intention to study. Each case must be handled on a case by case basis. Have more queries you need sorted out? PFEC Global has a line-up of the most amazing professionals in the business. So, if you have any doubts about what to do, call us to book an appointment today!
    I am currently residing in Australia on a Student Dependent Visa and my spouse who is a primay applicant is undertaking a Master level program. Am I given complete work & study rights in Australia as someone’s partner/ spouse?
    When the main applicant of the scholarship is studying in a Master’s or a Doctoral degree, their partner is free to work full-time, or with no limits.

    Our Professional Memberships